The Butte Youth Now Coalition and Club Live have partnered to develop and implement the Merchant Committed Education Program for off-sale and on-sale alcoholic beverage retailers (markets, stores, gas stations, bars, restaurants, and special event venues). The goal of this program is to reduce underage drinking and youth access to alcohol by increasing alcoholic beverage establishment compliance.
Merchant Committed Provides
- Education about the risks and liabilities of sales to underage patrons.
- Tools to help ensure your establishment is compliant.
- Information about the California Alcohol Beverage Control policies and state laws.
- Recognition of your participation and commitment to reducing youth access to alcohol.
- Networking with BYN Coalition members representing diverse sectors of the community including law enforcement, media, health professionals, youth and parents.
- Review your current policies regarding alcohol sales and service
- Review your current staff training program to ensure that all staff are aware of and practicing the policies
Learn about local ordinances, enforcement efforts and common violations
Get educated and make the best choice
- Find out how you can get quality education and training for your staff
- Get training that can help limit liability for you and your business
- Require all of your employees to complete the training
Do your part
- Implement recommendations to help ensure your establishment is compliant and using safe and responsible business practices
- Create in-house policies requiring all employees to complete merchant education training
- Create in-house policies ensuring ongoing monitoring of signage and alcoholic beverage placement in your establishment
Participate in inspections from the local law enforcement and Alcohol Beverage Control (ABC)